Saturday 6 November 2010

IDS is right, so is the head of CEOP & Co..

When you hear Iain Duncan-Smith speak, you tend to listen. Not because he is one of the world's greatest orators, rather, because he speaks sense.

This week he suggested that children from broken families and single parent households, on average saw an increase in violent behaviour. Moreover, that the cost to the taxpayer, that is you and me was exorbitant. Some £100billion a year. Now to me, i have a problem with that.

I don't deny that life isn't easy. We all have our challenges, our ups and downs. But, not once did I ever break a public bus stop, steal, burgle, cause trouble. Why? Because my parents installed values and respect into me. Not by beating me, rather, talking, educating and explaining the difference between 'right' and 'wrong'.

To hear that the previous government had done all in it's power to undermine marriage, I found this saddest of all. To think small kids are really upset and traumatised by divorce and parental arguments. The idea that a government would deliberately favour unmarried people over married confuses me.

Put simply, it is a no-brainer. We all know that marriage, (when it works and in general that is in a higher percentile of cases, does work well). Most families are more stable, there is less criminal behaviour from children when they grow up and society is better. David Cameron, the British Prime Minister has regularly argued that the broken society is having a direct impact, not just on social well being, family harmony, but rather the wider economy.

To me unfortunately in Britain today, we are confronted with a kind of 'false reality' that grips huge swathes of the country and population. People are so used to having it 'easy' they don't realise the value of what they have.

Take for example, the news that people living on benefits are given more money than most people who work, so they can live in plush houses in city centres. Moreover, the crazy rule that when housing large families, councils insist on a bedroom per child. When i was younger we had bunk beds. I don't understand why councils can't be more efficient and 'realistic' about the true costs of living. It is almost like 'funny money' to people that work in the civil service as aptly highlighted by Sir Philip Green.

I guess what it comes down to is a fundamental shift in attitude. People in Britain need to realise the value of what they have and just how much better off they are than 80% of the world!

As for children, I do believe it is time for discipline in the classroom. Only yesterday a colleague was telling me about a step daughter who had been bullied to the point of passing out at school. Not by one girl, but a gang and regularly. When the school was told and repeatedly told, it was bureaucratic as hell. Teachers weren't interested, so the police had to come in.

In the end, rather than expel the bullies, they asked the girl, the victim to leave the school. That to me underlines how Britain has become. Without trying to sound doom and gloom. I think the point here is that British society needs to stand up once and be counted for decency and integrity.

Something I believe we have all too often ignored in pursuit of self preservation..he says.. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment